Holed Up

18 Jul

image

Neil is the perennial optimist whilst I definitely have a pessimistic tendency. He has faith in the accuracy of weather forecasts, trusting in the appliance of science. Me, I tend to favour Murphy’s Law. If there is bad weather out there it will head our way and the wind will always be stronger than suggested in any one of the multitude of forecasts we consult. I want to be holed up somewhere safe days in advance and don’t want to budge until the sea looks like glass.

We try for a compromise. So we didn’t run for cover at the first blip of orange on the weather chart. We agreed to have at least one night at anchor first and watch what happens. Picking a bay on the mainland close to our chosen bolt hole of Astakos all looked promising at first. Except the anchor wouldn’t hold. I’d have given up much sooner but the optimist kept trying convinced we only had to make the anchor dig in through the weed. It was not to be.

By this time, though, the afternoon wind had got up, one that was definitely a bit more vigorous than I was comfortable with! Thus, I got my way and we were holed up somewhere safe much sooner than was necessary. The expected wind is, of course, stronger than forecast but not by much. At least so far. That doesn’t mean I’ll be wanting to leave tomorrow, mind. Let’s not rush things.

Update
We got about 30 knots in the end so we were both happy to be well dug in and being blown off as Neil predicted. Thankfully, the peaceful but decidedly chilly night which followed only raised the issue of not having any warm clothes on board. Note to self: it isn’t always warm in Greece so pack socks!
I reckon there’s still a bit of wind out there although Neil disputes this, so another day here in Astakos has been agreed with the skipper. That will do nicely.

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Holed Up”

  1. GeorgieMoon July 18, 2016 at 7:49 am #

    Glad you are ok. We are holed up in the lovely Kioni, a great place to wait for the wind to subside…..

    • lamputts July 18, 2016 at 10:48 am #

      Love Kioni, too. And thank you so much for the reboot. I’m very flattered!

  2. Dawn Chaloner July 18, 2016 at 2:37 pm #

    Oh cathy I would feel the same as you xxx

    • lamputts July 18, 2016 at 3:32 pm #

      It was a condition of getting the boat that this time we would run for cover early if big winds were forecast. The trouble is we disagree on what is or is not a big wind!

  3. john July 19, 2016 at 1:13 pm #

    Hi Cathy & Neil, thanks for the updates. Please can you confirm what sites you use for local weather in the Ionian ? We have a weeks charter from Gouvia this weekend and would love to know what you use…

    • lamputts July 19, 2016 at 3:43 pm #

      As many sites as we can, John! My favourite is Passage Weather but also Windguru a lot. Enjoy your holiday :-))

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: